Wednesday, March 31, 2021

WTF

 Today's song is: Dreamer ... SuperTramp


Have you ever woken up and thought, 'WFT, WMI and how did I get here?'. If not, perhaps you are not really living your life. Just a thought :-). I uderstand a comfort zone has its merits, but at the same time, a comfort zone has its boundaries that may be locking you into the mundane.

I was forced out of my comfor zone by a variety of life altering decisions that were made, some by me, and some by my wife at the time. It was also at a time when my children were out of the house, on their own at university. It was not a mid life crises because I was too old for that but a time in my life when life altering decisions were easier to make.

Thoughts of 'Don't foo around, buy a round', and 'Life is not a dress rehearsal' leapt to the forefront of my mind and decisions flowed.  I recently read a quote that stated, 'No one is interested in listening to what you have not done.' and that resonated with my own saying, 'I don't regret the things I have done, just the things I did not do.' and my life has flowed from that.

So, the question you should be asking yourself is, 'Am I part of the mundane, or am I challenging myself to be somewhat different than the pack?' Or, perhaps you are happy in the mundane and wish to pursue it for the rest of your life. BTW, embarking upon cruises once you retire is part of the mundane, whereas partaking of the full moon party in Thailand is perhaps stretching your horizons.

My third child arrived at my age of 63 and although unplanned, a conscientious decision to keep the child was. Definitely not mundane and it was a great decision on our part. Young people keep you young as they have yet to discover the boundaries that lock many within. It is my job as a parent to make sure that will not happen. 

My mother always called me Walter Mitty. I am not sure whether she meant that as a compliment but I think she did.

The American Heritage Dictionary defines a Walter Mitty as "an ordinary often ineffectual person who indulges in fantastic daydreams of personal triumphs". The most famous of Thurber's inept male protagonists, the character is considered "the archetype for dreamy, hapless, Thurber Man".

However, perhaps, unlike Walter, I made some dreams come true :-) I would not want to die thinking, 'What if?'.

My sone recently gifted me with a coffee mug that I am most proud of:

TTYL

No comments:

Post a Comment