Sunday, January 3, 2021

Hermits

 Today's song is: Break my Heart  ... Dua

I think that hermits are the least affected by Covid. After all, they lead a singular life and avoid others. I have only known one hermit in my life. He was an Englishman and was into motorcycles and was often seen with his fellow motorcycle afficiando Fred. His name was Peter and he was the mechanic and Fred was the saleman. I remember one winter in particulat where Peter and Fred organized a series of ice racing on motorcycles on a frozen track on Dows Lake. It was amazing to see for a 16 year old.

Around that time I purchased a 650 cc Triumph Bonneville and I was quite disturbed that it would not do the 'Ton' which was an English term for 100 mph. I took the bike to go see Peter to get him to check it out. He took it for a quick ride down the country road on the outskirts of Bells Corners, called Moodie Drive. He roared off down the road and came back 5 minutes later stating that it pulled 110 MPH. He informed me that you had to bend over the tank to decrease wind resistance. I jumped on the bike and left determined to pull the 'Ton'. Sure enough, I pulled 105 MPH before shutting down to return to thank Peter for his wisdom. I looked in my rearview mirror and to my surpise the red cherries where flashing as a police car pulled over to stop me.

The officer got out and asked me to remove my helmet and  asked me a few questions. He asked, 'How fast were you going?' and I replied I don't know, I was watching the tach. He said, 'What gear were you in?'  and I said 5th. He smiled and said, 'Well son, I was going 90 MPH and you were pulling away from me so how about I put you down for going 65 in a 50 MPH zone? I said, 'That would be okay officer', and he wrote me up. I guess he remembered what it was like to be a 16 year old kid.

Fred and Peter eventually opened a motorcycle shop in Ottawa and I bought two Norton motorcycles from them over the next few years. The two eventually had a falling out and Peter disappeared into the woods of Quebec and lived life as a hermit and no one know what became of him. Fred's son took over his motorcycle shop and I sometimes see Fred inside hanging around. I did buy a Honda there, along with my younger sister, but that is another story.

I have a new Triumph motorcycle on order for March 1st and I am sure I will reflect on Peter aand Fred during my first ride.

Meanwhile, while back in the lockup, I play and design Lego vehicles, run on the teradmill and workout, while Jaidan plays on his Nintendo and watches Pokemon on TV. Thavorn still works out and has a permanent smile every time she looks in the mirror. Life goes on :-)

Some pics:







Lookin fit :-)

TTYL 

No comments:

Post a Comment