Sunday, April 26, 2020

Programming Tangent

Today's song is Top 50 Billboard ... what else are you going to do locked up? ...


I was planning on learning the Unity Game software platform and I may get back to it at sometime if the lockdown continues. The Ministry of Education just announced that schools are closed until May 31st.

I started to review programming books on Amazon and I discovered two languages I am interested in have lots of books published on them. I have learned that is the best way to discover how popular a language is in the industry. The languages are Kotlin and Golang.

Kotlin is many things, the most important being it is a much more concise Java. It transpiles to Javascript as well as native Android.

However Golang (GO) has much more appeal to me as I can use it in my company to provide microservices via the web for my software projects. Another appeal to me is that GO is close to the C language which is one of the first languages I learned.  It is best used to write network, system, and web stuff.

So far I have created a web server, accessed a mssql database and returned json, and cretaed a PDF. These are all things I do in my work using Javascript, ColdFusion, and Delphi. Most of all it is just fun to learn a new language that is concise, open source, and light on resources.

Other than programming, I was researching battery powered chain saws as it is time to get out in the woods and start creating a path for roaming in Jordan's back yard. In case you are curious I decided on:


Along the tech line, I had trouble getting a cell connection in the house. It appears that Rogers has some dead zones inside the City of Ottawa. Go figure, Thailand had cverage everywhere I went (at much less expensive). I did some research and found out that I could use a cell phone signal booster.  I decide on the one below and went from no bars on my phone to 4 bars and now I always have a solid connection. Highly recommended especially if you have a son who is willing to go up on the roof and install it.


The results - grey zone before installation


Jordan up on the roof installing the antenna


On the Lego Technic car builds, I am waiting on Canada Post to deliver some parts I bought. They were mailed 8 days ago from Toronto.

TTYL


No comments:

Post a Comment