Sunday, April 5, 2020

Games

Today's song is: Walk Me Home ... Pink


It has been about 11 years since I was teaching Grade 12 students at Canadian Pre University in Subang Jaya in Malaysia. If you want to offer a programming course and have the students really enjoy it while they learn then I suggest you offer game programming. After all, besides being fun, game programming is really hard. It also lends itself to team work as some students will be great in designing graphics while some will be more proficient in coding and testing..

Back in 2009 I was teaching programming in Flash using the Flex IDE and ActionScript which was a powerful combination and some of my students completed commercial level games. The games could be loaded on to and played from a web server in the browser. Pretty heady stuff in 2010.

Now that I am self isolating I decided to explore how game programming had progressed. Indie games are in the in thing now as individuals can sometimes complete with the big players such as Electronic Arts and Epic Games among others.  Indie game programmers use one of Unreal or Unity platforms.

Indie game - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Indie_game
Indie games are developed by individuals, small teams, or small independent companies that are often specifically formed for the development of one specific game. Typically, indie games are smaller than mainstream titles.

These platforms make it easier to combine and manipulate 2D or 3D graphics with code. It still, is not easy, but much more manageable for smaller teams.

A day that goes by without learning something new is a wasted stay so I decided to explore these two platforms and came to the decision that I would adopt Unity and learn how to use it to reproduce some of the games my students worked on in 2009.

Top 10 Unity Games Ever Made

  • 10: Deus Ex: The Fall.
  • 9: Assassin's Creed: Identity.
  • 8: Satellite Reign.
  • 7: Escape plan.
  • 6: Temple Run Trilogy.
  • 5: Rust.
  • 4: Battlestar Galactica Online.
  • 3: Wasteland 2.
  • 2: Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft.
  • 1: Kerbal Space Program.
I don't pretend to write such a game but I do intend to learn enough that I could teach the Unity platform to students and perhaps later my son Jaidan. Instead I will write a few educational games that could be used online during pandemics.

If you are bored and would like a challenge visit the Unity web site.


Our living space is starting to feel like a home and Thavorn is enjoying the kitchen area.







TTYL

No comments:

Post a Comment