Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Intellectual Curiosity and Thai Culture

Today's song is: Alice's Restaurant  .. Guthrie


I have mentioned that I find Thais to have very little intellectual curiosity and for the most part live in the present. I mention this because I recently tried to impart some wise advice to a nooby bar girl I know and it simply did not register with her. Probably because it is based on my past learning and experiences. Her comment, 'I Thai, not like you!' pretty well sums up her argument. However, in search of how others think about Thais I decided to look on the internet for other opinions and Stickman's website, as usual, came up in my google search.  A reader's submission by the name of Simon describes the issue very succinctly.  Here it is :

My Thai experience started in 2009 and will come to an end in the next few days as I leave to start again in South Korea. Over the past 6 years I have learnt a tremendous amount from my time in Thailand and have nothing but praise for Thai people and their country. However, after six years I am also sure I will never have a long time relationship or marry with a Thai girl.

To set the context I would like to give a bit of background information before explaining the reasoning behind my statement. I am a 29-year old Englishman and first came to Thailand for a two-week holiday when I was 24. I immediately fell in love with the country, culture and people and was sure I wanted to return. At that time I was working in London as an oil trader and started to travel to Thailand in my vacations. After a couple of years of holidays and against all advice from family and friends I decided that it was worth quitting my job and pursuing a full-time life in Thailand. I moved to live in Bangkok in 2012, studied to become a teacher and have been living here ever since.

I’m not sure how I came across the Stickman website but I have often searched the readers' submissions to find answers to my many Thai cultural questions and now feel I can impart some of my own thoughts to others who may be wondering why they are finding it difficult to maintain a long-term relationship with a girl who seems perfect on paper.

I encourage you to click the link and continue reading ...

from:  https://www.stickmanbangkok.com/readers-submissions/2015/01/why-i-will-never-marry-a-thai-intellectual-curiosity/

I felt myself agreeing with most of what Simon describes but found that a reader's response was right on. Here it is:

The Analysis of Simon about Thai mentality is by far the most comprehensive and the most brilliant submission I’ve read on this site. ‘Hitting the nail on the head’ is a tremendous understatement! It should, however, be published as a ‘guest-contribution’ in the Bangkok Post or something similar. No offense, Stick, but within this blog it’s somewhat misplaced. <Not misplaced at all, this is THE site for it – Stick>

I’m a European academic, living in Thailand for many years with my (highly educated) Thai wife. The following circular (sequence) to my friends was sent at the end of 2013, calling it, ’The essence of all things is its appearance’, or ‘Why I wouldn’t live in Thailand without my wife.‘

I encourage you to click the link and continue reading:

...

So, why Thailand? Because my wife is here, that’s it. With her Alaska would be fine for me either.

from: https://www.stickmanbangkok.com/readers-submissions/2015/02/simons-why-i-will-never-marry-a-thai-intellectual-curiosity/

I can't agree more with the final sentence. I am here because of my wife. She is truly wonderful and becomes more and more curious as the years roll by. However, I have learned to not be disappointed when I announce we are going to a beautiful resort in a month and Thavorn shows little excitement. That is simply too far in the future and Thais don't believe it will happen until it does. Perhaps that explains why so many Thai girls cheat on their farang when he is back in his home country and won't be back for 2 months. In their eyes, that might be in another life  .. too far to think about  ..

TTYL

No comments:

Post a Comment