Monday, August 27, 2018

My Way

Today's song is: My Way  .. Willie Nelson


I like this song because a great Canadian Paul Anka penned it, Sinatra made it popular, and Willie does it best.

Wow, 9 days since my last post. Lots has been happening. We have closed down our apartment and Soi 22 and said our goodbyes to friends and a place we have lived in for 5 years. All our belongings are now either in the village or in Big Tree Residence.

Bang Phli Niwet (the area we live in) comes alive in the morning around 8 am until 9 am and then again at factory closing time, around 5 pm to 6 pm. At these times there is a lot of traffic and many markets and food stalls come alive during supper time.

There is the requisite 7/11 for junk food and other necessities. There is a Thai pharmacy where you can get most things without a doctor's prescription. It appears 'You can Always Get What you Want at Alices's Restaurant' (Arlo Guthrie). The only thing missing are beer and gogo bars as well as massage places although I suspect there are some massage parlours I have not yet discovered. Most things are cheaper. Technically, we are no longer in the City of Bangkok. Rumour has it that elephants show up from time to time, unlike Bangkok where they are not permitted to enter.

Basketball coaching is going well and my U19 team beat last year's alumni team fairly easily. My U15 team will also be competitive. The clinics I run for the High School girls will help but I suspect their coaches have their work cut out for them.

I must be getting old (or perhaps wise) and I don't anticipate spending more than 1 day a month downtown partying, but that could change.

The school has a break coming up the second week in October and we will head off to Phuket along with Thavorn's 2 older children who have never been there, and never flown so they are very excited about the trip. The flight is under a $100 so Thavorn and I thought we would give an experience to remember before we head off to Canada for 6 months.

Things are quiet, Mimmo is in Italy, Harvey is in London, Arthur is in Japan for a holiday, and John is busy with work. Nice to have a family to keep me busy.

John and I are thinking about a Cambodian excursion sometime in November. That will be fun if it comes to pass. Just a weekend this time as 5 days was simply too much activity for these old bones.


Thavorn out with Wacky Tacky and Ploi.


Jaidan catching some zzz's


Fon, Ploi's Tom Boy


Thai girls love to eat  .. don't know how they stay skinny


Ploi  .. good friend of Thavorn

TTYL

No comments:

Post a Comment