Thursday, March 15, 2018

Cutting the Cord

Today's song is: What's my Name  .. Rhianna


I have a 2 rules about buying lady drinks for bar girls. Rule one is they must make me laugh and enter into a conversation. Rule 2 is, the next time I see them they must remember my name, or laugh or not, no lady drink. Hence, the reason I chose this song  .. and if you like Rhianna  .. I do  ..


I am spoiled in Bangkok when it comes to my internet connection. I subscribe to #BB's fibre:


Yes, that is correct! Unlimited download at 200 mbs down and 100 mbs up for 1200 baht or about $45 CDN. Makes you wonder why Canada can't do the same. Bell, Rogers, et al argue it is because they have to provide service in the netherlands, which is the same argument that Air Canada uses. However in Thailand, I still get 20 mbs down and 10 mbs up in Thavorn's remote village, and Nok Air and Air Asia both fly to remote cities (size of towns) for under 1,000 baht.

Regardless, Canada does offer plans that will enable you to cut the cable cord and save you $100 a month while giving you thousands of channels from around the world, anywhere in the world. In order to do this, you need some sort of box. Apple has Apple TV but locks you into the iStore as usual.  The best choice is too embrace Google's free android system as it is free and the content is not locked down, however it is a shady area in legal terms.

The problem is there are many android boxes to choose from. I did the research and I believe the Minix 9U-H is the best bang for the buck and future proof for about 3 years (4K streaming).


It cost me 5,500 baht in Thailand and it included 2 remotes, the standard one plus the A3 which makes it easily controllable from across the room. The A3 features a gyro pointer plus a full qwerty keyboard on the reverse side.  This is very important as large TV screens do not have touch screens and you would not want to go to the screen to control the output every time you wanted to change something. The Thai store also loaded 4 streaming packages that enable me to view just about anything and I wanted to watch March Madness at home.


The other advantage to choosing an android box is that it means you can buy yourself a dumb TV rather than a smart TV which easily save you more money than the box cost you. Also, only 2 companies offer the android OS, Sony and Sharp. This OS lets you download most packages from the Play Store. Pretty well every Play Store package runs.

There are streaming packages that you pay a subscription for which means there is a cash flow to the company that enables it to run more servers and more powerful servers accessing more bandwidth. I like Simply-TV  (https://www.simply-tv.com/) for $20 a month and it has clients for android boxes, android and iPhone smartphones and tablets as well as Windows and Apple computers. You are permitted 3 devices. They have a 3 day free trial that I am currently using.

I am also using the free packages that were installed on my android box and they are working well for me.

Regardless, you should probably also installed a VPN to hide you identity because of the grey nature of streaming services. There are free and paid versions. I am currently not using one as I really can't see a company going after thousands of individual consumers of their content. They are more likely to go after the companies or people streaming the content.

In order to use a box and streaming services you just nee an internet connection that gives you 10 mbs down.  In Canada both Bell and Rogers offer this but it is cheaper to go with a third party such as TekSavvy (https://teksavvy.com/) who buy bandwidth from Bell and Rogers in  huge quantities and resell it back to consumers at a cheaper rate than Bell or Rogers as they do not have thousands of people hired trying to sell you plans and packages that you do not need.

So, jump into the future and cut the cord and if you have yet to ditch your phone landline then so so immediately. By cutting the cord and ditching your TV package and landline you can save yourself a couple of hundred dollars a month and get more content at the same time.

TTYL

No comments:

Post a Comment