Friday, February 23, 2018

Observations from the Field

Today's song is: Hotel California  .. Eagles 198


As tourism ramps up in Thailand with more and more tourists coming (from China and India) I anticipate a feeding frenzy of locals taking advantage of the tourists.  Jaidan and I were out for a walk when a Chinese lady approached me asking for help. Her English was excellent and she was frustrated because she wanted to go to Sea Life Bangkok in Siam Paragon Mall but found that the taxi drivers were not very helpful. First because their English sucks and second because they did not want to use the meter. She asked me, 'Is it because I have a Chinese face?' and I said no,, it is because you look like a tourists.

Thais have a subtle form of racism. You are either Thai, or not.  It matters not to them what category of 'NOT' you are.  I told the lady that she should never take a Tuk Tuk or ask a parked taxis for a ride.  I also told her I would flag a cab for her and make sure meter would be used. I flagged a taxi and the driver reluctantly said yes when I asked for meter. You could see in his eyes that tourists are fair game and I was circumventing the feeding frenzy.

Do I blame taxi drivers? Not really, I think they are under paid.  The government should increase the taxi rates. They are 20% of what they are in North America. At the same time, they should be following the law and using the meter.  BTW, Malaysia is much worse for avoiding the meter! The feeding frenzy also applies to street food where there is often a Thai price and a non Thai price.  I am almost always treated to the Thai price after I demonstrate enough Thai language to let the vedor know I am not a tourist passing through.

I hate to think how the tourists must be getting gouged in the nightlife and bars.

Thavorn took the 12 hour bus ride to Phangna to attend a wedding. She is staying at her ex's house where her third daughter lives. The family is doing well and has recently added a restaurant alongside the pool hall they operate. A large 5 star resort has been built nearby and they expect to catch some tourists wanting cheaper and more authentic local fare.

While Thavorn was seated in the open air restaurant, a German couple were riding by on a rented motor bike when it started to rain so they parked and sat down to wait the rain out.  They ordered a couple of beers and were surprised to find that Thavorn could easily converse in English. It was supper hour and the rain was not letting up so Thavorn suggested they share in the families supper which they did. When they finished and the rain had stopped, the couple asked for the bill and were surprised they were not charged for supper. Thavorn simply said, I invited you, no charge  :-)  The exact opposite of what is happening in larger venues.

The restaurant would do well to have someone like Thavorn around who can converse with tourists in English. The older brother who is getting married can, but not to the extent that Thavorn can. I really believe that a good command of the English language is the ticket to ride in Thailand's future. Unfortunately not many Thais have the capability and the ones that do, are working bar girls.


Sharing the family dinner with a German couple

I have noticed many changes in Thailand over the 10 years I have been visiting and living in Thailand. I suppose change is inevitable but I also think change needs to be managed. The current tourism manager wants to bring in more HiSo tourists with more money to spend. I believe that LoSo Thais need to see the financial benefits from that policy as well as the wealthy owners of restaurants and 5 star hotels. Everyone deserves a seat at table.

TTYL

No comments:

Post a Comment