Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Things of Value

Today's song is: 'Ring Dang Do'  .. Sam the Sham  .. Seriously


The last few weeks have been illuminating.  I started coaching high school basketball and rediscovered my love of coaching young people. Young people this time around is an International School High School Boy's Basketball Team. I feel rejuvenated and I look forward to each and every practice. Unfortunately, along with the practices, comes the games and despite a winning percentage o 88% I have never enjoyed the games over the past 30+ years. It's sort of like teaching, I always enjoyed the teaching, but always felt the testing and marking just reinforced what you already new for the sake of accountability.

There were two other incidents this past week which reinforced my understanding that people, not things are important. My longstanding Maurice Lacroix watch that I purchased at Harrods's in London, England has finally quit and at $100 a tuneup I have decided to let it die.  After all, the time is on my smartphone and just a press away.

The other incidence is that I lost my $2,000 eye glasses on my way home from Soi Cowboy (no, I was not drunk) while carrying Jaidan on my shoulders. I will not replace them with another $2,000 pair but will use my $350, 5 year old short focus computer glasses and my Jimmy Choo sunglasses for UV protection while walking about.  What I give up is the 'one glasses does all' focus and UV adjustment what the $2,000 gave me. At first I was upset set, but then I realized that the master of all is not as good as dedicated glasses. That, and the fact that I do not miss the snob appeal  :-)

I repeat once again, 'Things are not important, people are important'. It is better to wake up in the morning with a warm body beside you than a pair of $2,000 specs on the night table beside you!

Once you begin to divest yourself of things you begin to realize how freeing it is. The old adage, 'You can't take it with you' frees the people you left behind the task of getting rid of, or liquidating your stuff.

Here are some pics of where I coach.  Just a normal gym class in progress, along with the weight room.










Sorry about the blurry pics but you get the picture :-)

TTYL

1 comment: