Saturday, May 20, 2017

The Slave Trade -- Beer bars

Today's song is:  .. Private Dancer  -- Tina


I have a good friend (P) who used to work in Crazy Girls Bar in Queen's Park Soi 22. I used to frequent the bar quite often because I knew one of the bar owners (ex bar girl) quite well. The bar is owned by 2 ex bar girls and an ex male bar tender whom I shall call (M) for moron.

The trio bought the bar about 7 months ago at the start of the busy season and business was good. None of them are business savvy and combined with Thai predilection for ignoring the future, they did not put money in the bank to survive in off season so they have started extort money from the girls working for them.

They have increased the late fine from 1 baht per minute to 2 baht per minute and have increased the bar fine to 800 bahts. If a bar girl wants to bar fine herself, they charge her 1,000 baht. Sometimes a girl just needs a night off. They have also increased the lady drink quota from 150 drinks per month to 200 drinks per month. Of course, if the girl does not meet her quota she gets fined which comes out of her monthly salary of 2,000 baht. This effectively means that the girls are now working for free during the off season. I am sure the 3 pimps are dancing for joy.

My good friend who works in tat bar just quit. Not because of the business stupidity but because  M has started bad mouthing her on the bar's LINE account. His latest major complaint if she used one of her monthly days off to see a farang friend who frequently spends 20,000 baht a month in Crazy girls, visiting our mutual friend. M then complains that she does this often (2 days a month being often) and should be bar fining herself on her day off.  I am having a difficult time understanding M's logic, if there is any.

My friend, who has more than a modicum of self respect got fed up and quit. She paid the ridiculous fee of 15,000 baht to buy out her contract so she could walk away from Crazy Girl's with her head high. The buyout amount is usually 10,000 baht but I can only assume the math is too difficult to divide up the 10,000, so it being low season, and the rent coming due, they raised it to 15,000.

When a beer bar treats the girls like this I think slave labour and I start seeing bar owners as pimps.

As a consumer, I, my friends, and the bar girl's other friend, and his friends, will not be spending any baht in Crazy Girls in the future. That is a loss of about 40,000 baht a month.

I is quite difficult to lose money on a beer bar, but obviously, it can be done!

TTYL

1 comment:

  1. During my long stay coming up I will definitely look at the many other places to have a drink and some games of pool.

    ReplyDelete