Thursday, January 26, 2023

Candle in the Wind

 Today's song is Jumping Jack Flash ... Stones


Given the choice would you rather be, 'A Candle in the Wind' or 'A Flash of Lightning in a Storm'.

For some reason my son Jaidan is always asking 'Would you rather be ... ?' questions. Some of the time it can be annoying, but sometimes they get me thinking. For me, the answer is easy ... a flash of lightning.

We are here for a short time, not a long time, and for some of us, the time is getting shorter. My Thai accomplice, John and I noticed that our age group is starting to drop. Always a good time to reflect on your life, what you accomplished, how you will be remembered, and most of all, did you make a difference in peoples lives.

We boomers where labeled the 'Me Generation'. I am not sure we warrant that label but what is done is done. To counteract that label I suggest we strive to make a difference as we sail off into the horizon. Take a risk, climb a mountain, visit the other side of the planet, or perhaps volunteer for something outside of your comfort zone.

At 72 I am coaching U19 Boys basketball. I hope I am making a difference. After coaching for 40 years, coaching over 1600 games and winning over 1,400 of them, I certainly don't do it for aggrandizement. It is to pass on knowledge that I have accumulated through experience and other coaches who shared. It is a way to acknowledge the role my own coaches, I had as a youth, played in my development. As opposed to the concept of 'pay it forward', I am 'paying it back'.

At the same time strike out against ageism and show that we older folks have something worthwhile sharing. Most of all, keep it light and make it fun and perhaps leave some memories behind.

TTYL

No comments:

Post a Comment