Sunday, December 8, 2019

Where Would You Live?

Today's song is: Home ... Nickleback, a great Canadian Band


The question in today's post title is interesting.  All things being equal (like health coverage, standard of living, etc.) where would you choose to live. It is interesting because few people have that choice (except for the filthy rich).

For myself, I seem to be choosing Canada for health coverage. Remove that from consideration  and I would still not choose Thailand as I will always be considered a farang (non Thai) so there is no buy in, and that gives rise to all the immigration related issues associated with being non Thai.

Would I choose to live in the United States. That would be the closest to what living in Canada is like, but there is a reason why American backpackers put Canadian flags on their packs during the 70's and 80's. I also believe the gap between the rich and poor is greater in the US and the elite operate outside the rules and regulations, if not the law.

I think Europe is out of the question for  a variety of reasons, including language and the standard of living.

Forget about the southern hemisphere continents except for Australia.  I have never been to Australia but from what I hear, it is very much like Canada except for being a little more xenophobic. They really don't seem to encourage immigration much.

It appears to me that Canada is home and Thailand is my vacation destination.  Not a bad life :-)

TTYL

1 comment:

  1. I would live in an RV in Canada with a big dog beside me riding shotgun and travel all over Canada; stay as long as I like in towns across Newfoundland to Salt Spring Island and end up in Whitehorse and just lean back and watch the aurora borealis dance across the sky. Then I might motor down to South America and spend time in Ecuador; nice people in Ecuador.

    ReplyDelete